Academic experience and education
- since July 2016: Research fellow in agent-based modelling of organizations and strategy, Manchester Business School,
The University of Manchester
- 2014-2016: Postdoctoral fellow in complex adaptive systems in social sciences, Social and Decision Sciences Department,
Carnegie Mellon University
- 2011-2013: Postdoctoral researcher in innovation sciences and complexity, School of Innovation Sciences – TIS,
Eindhoven University of Technology
- 2006-2011: PhD fellow in economics of industries and innovation, , GREThA (UMR CNRS 5113),
University of Bordeaux
- 2004-2006: Master in applied economics in region, environment and industries,
University of Bordeaux
- 2000-2004: Bachelor in economic analysis and policy,
University of Bordeaux
Languages: French (native speaker), English (full professional proficiency), basic knowledge of German and Dutch
Innovation ; Organization ; Internet and creative industries ; Modelling in social sciences ; Evolutionary theory & Complex systems
Tools and software skills
Statistics, data mining and econometrics with R ; Modelling simulations with Java, LabSimDev, NetLogo and Python ; Graphs and Networks with Pajek.
- Article in peer-reviewed journal
- 2017, “Evolving user needs and late-mover advantage”, with Koen Frenken, Strategic Organization, 15 (1), 67-90.
- 2014, “Complexity and demographic explanations of cumulative culture”, with Krist Vaesen and Wybo Houkes, PLoS ONE, 9(7): e102543.
- 2011, “The strategic trade-offs for beneficial open innovation: the case of ‘open source’ consortia in mobile OS development”, Journal of Innovation Economics & Management, 2011/1 n°7, pp. 109-130.
- Book chapter
- 2013, “Why first movers may fail: Global versus sequential improvement of complex technological artefacts”, with Koen Frenken, in Gilbert T., Kirkilionis M. and Nicolis G. (Eds.), Proceedings of the European Conference on Complex Systems 2012, Springer Proceedings in Complexity, Springer International Publishing, pp. 751-755.
- PhD dissertation (in French), defended on 4th January 2012:
- “Emergence and evolution of an industry: the case of mobile data services” supervised by Pr. Yannick Lung, GREThA, University of Bordeaux
- Presentation in conference
- 2015, “Growth, reputation and information diffusion in the profit-based sharing economy”, International Conference on Computational Social Science, Helsinki, Finland, June 8-11, 2015.
- 2015, “Growth, reputation and information diffusion in the profit-based sharing economy”, First International Workshop on the Sharing Economy, Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development, Utrecht University, The Netherlands, 4-5 June 2015.
- 2014, “On ignorance in organizational design”, 2014 National Academies Keck Futures Initiative (NAKFI) Conference on Collective Behavior: From Cells to Societies, Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center Of the National Academies of Science and Engineering, Irvine CA, 13-15 November 2014.
- 2014, “Banned from the sharing economy. An agent-based model of the peer-to-peer distribution of consumer goods”, WCSS 2014: 5th World Congress on Social Simulation, São Paulo, Brazil, 4-7 November 2014.
- 2013, “On ignorance in organizational design: A generalized model of decentralized search” (with Koen Frenken), EMAEE 2013: 8th European Meeting on Applied Evolutionary Economics, Nice – Sophia Antipolis (OFCE – SKEMA), 10-12 June 2013.
- 2012, “Exaptation as a source of late mover advantage” (with Koen Frenken), ECCS’12: European Conference on Complex Systems, Brussels (Université Libre de Bruxelles), 2-7 September 2012.
- 2012, “Why first movers may fail: global versus sequential improvement of complex technological artifacts” (with Koen Frenken), International Workshop on Agent-Based Models and Complex Techno-Social Systems, Zurich (ETH), 2-4 July 2012.
- 2011, “The strategic trade-offs for beneficial open innovation: the case of ‘open source’ consortia in mobile OS development”, DIME Final Conference, Maastricht (UNU-MERIT & School of Economics and Business), 6-8 April 2011.
- 2011, “The collective construction of digital platforms for mobile services: the mobile OS for smartphones”, EMAEE 2011: 7th European Meeting on Applied Evolutionary Economics, Pisa (Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies), 14-16 February 2011.
- 2010, “The industrial emergence of a digital market: the case of digital services for mobile phones”, DRUID-DIME Winter Conference 2010, Aalborg, 21-23 January 2010.
- 2009, “L’émergence de plateformes logicielles pour les services mobiles numériques – La convergence numérique comme convergence des irréversibilités ?” [translation: “The emergence of software platforms for mobile data services – The digital convergence as the convergence of irreversibilities?”], Colloque Incertitude et gestion de l’irréversibilité dans les trajectoires d’innovation, Programme Les Trajectoires de l’Innovation, Maison des Sciences de l’Homme d’Aquitaine, University of Bordeaux, 22-23 October 2009.
- 2009, “L’émergence d’une offre variée de services sur téléphone mobile: une approche historique de la dynamique industrielle (1992-2008)” [translation: “The emergence of diversified services on mobile phones: between conflicts and cooperations, a historical approach of the industrial dynamics (1992-2008)”], Colloque Opérateurs de réseaux et manufacturiers d’équipements des années 1830 à nos jours: dynamiques d’innovation et structure d’entreprise, CRHI, Paris Sorbonne University, 17-18 February 2009.
- Presentation in workshop or seminar
- 2014-2015, SDS Tuesday Seminar, Carnegie Mellon University, February 2014 & December 2015.
- 2012, SOD Seminar, University of Southern Denmark, November 2012.
- 2012, NWO – Complexity’s PhD-Postdocs meeting, Erasmus University Rotterdam, June 2012.
- 2008-2011, GREThA internal workshops: Region and industry workshop (March 2011), PhD workshop (May 2009, November 2010), Publication workshop (March 2008, September 2010).
- 2008, Doctoriales du GDR TIC et Société, University of Rennes 1, June 2008.
- 2007, DIMETIC Doctoral European Summer School, University of Pecs, July 2007 and Maastricht University, October 2007.
- 2007, SEDER XVII, University of Montesquieu-Bordeaux IV, June 2007.
- Master dissertation(s)
- 2006, “The video game industry: between mutations and maturity, in search of improvements” [in French], supervised by Pr. Yannick LUNG, University of Bordeaux.
- 2005, “ICT and digital technologies: what implications for the music industry?” [in French], supervised by Dr. Vincent FRIGANT, University of Bordeaux.
- Undergrad courses at CMU:
- Economics of Networks and Information
- Bachelor level (French “Licence”):
- Industrial economics and organization
- Introduction to statistics and mathematics applied to economics
- Introduction to macroeconomics
- Registered as apt to a position of assistant professor (i.e. “inscription sur les listes de qualification aux fonctions de maître de conférences“) by the Economics department of the French National Council of Universities (CNU section 05) (2013).
- Selected for a 3-year PhD fellowship (full-time employment with 80% research and 20% teaching, i.e. “allocataire ministériel – moniteur“), granted by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research (MESR) (2006-2009).
- Elected representative of the PhD students in Economics to the Board of the Doctoral School of Economics, Management and Demography at the University of Montesquieu – Bordeaux 4 (2007-2009, 2009-2011).